My Guy Smiley

Monday, February 28, 2005

Guy V.S. the Toilet II

Since Guy's babysitter (Grandpa) found a job, and school was starting I had to find a day care for Guy. I noticed one that I drove by on my way home. I enrolled him in their program. I was excited to know that he will be getting some education there and he will be engaged with organized activities with several other kids. I was especially excited to find that they will assist with the potty training!

I figured I would let Guy mess their hard floors instead of wetting on our carpet or couch. So I got brave and sent him in underwear instead of pull-ups. The first couple days I found a surprise in his backpack that they sent home with me. They will wash a child's clothes if they wet in them, but they cannot clean them out if they are pooped in. So, they send them home in a zip-lock bag, poop and all!

I made a deal with him, that if he would go poop in the toilet at school, I would let him pick out a big candy bar from the store. (I have been giving him the snack size ones when he goes poop on the toilet at home, which only happens about once a week.) I asked a couple times if he went poop in the toilet at school and he said no. I wanted to give him one day anyway for having dry shorts that day. He declined my offer!

One morning after I got him dressed without his diaper, I was just a minute away from being ready to go out the door, when I hear him from downstairs say, "Mommy, I need go pee pee, poo poo potty." I tell him to come upstairs to the potty. I turned to go down the stairs and I rush down to help him come up. When I pick him up, I realize that he has actually already started going through his shorts and on the floor. I tell him to hold it as I carry him up to the toilet. He managed to pinch off a few drops to save for the toilet.

That first week of Pre-School, I felt as if it was a miracle that I was able to get to work at all. He had a hard time letting me go when I would drop him off because we get there just in time for the kids to take a nap. He puts up a fight, just for me so I know that he loves me and I'll be missed. =) When I pick him up, I can tell that he has fun there.

Guy is doing much better about going pee on the potty. One morning last week, he just walked into the bathroom and did his business without needing my help. It made my day! He still struggles with getting the poop in the toilet, though.

One morning, he was out in front with underwear on and he pooped in his pants. We talked about it before he went out there and we located all the potties, including the little one in the garage. At this point I decided to take some drastic measures. I brought him over to the garden hose where I have to spray out his shorts. Then I turned the hose on his butt. He ran and cried a bit, but he was fine. I took him up and put him in the bath.

He continues to go poop in his shorts and I promised him I would spray him with the hose each time he goes in his shorts and I have followed through with it, and he doesn't seem to mind it. Two days ago, I think he did it so I would put him in the bathtub!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home